Based on guidance from the government and Bipolar Scotland, we have reluctantly decided to cancel our group meetings until the spread of COVID-19 is under control. However, as an alternative, we will be offering group members an opportunity to join us at online meetings. Please read the rest of this webpage for instructions on how you can do this.
The facilitators have only started using Zoom recently, so please bear with us if there are technical problems. We understand that technology can sometimes be a barrier to accessing services, but we hope you’ll understand that in these extraordinary circumstances the facilitators are limited in what we can offer. Our view is that imperfect online meetings are better than no meetings at all.
Zoom allows groups of people to see each other while talking together, using internet-connected computers and mobile devices. It’s similar to Skype and FaceTime. If you’re reasonably comfortable with technology, you shouldn’t have any trouble using Zoom.
Before taking part in your first online group meeting, please download the Zoom software at http://zoom.us/test and configure your device’s sound & video settings. On smartphones, you can download the software from the Apple App Store or Android Play Store.
The following YouTube video explains how to configure Zoom on a Windows PC:
There are also videos explaining how to use Zoom on smartphones and other mobile devices. If you need help, Zoom provides support information on their website.
If you can’t get Zoom to work, a family member may be able to help. Otherwise, you could contact an organisation like ACE IT, an Edinburgh charity which helps older people learn computer skills (phone 0131 667 2053).
Joining by Telephone
If you don’t have access to a computer or mobile device you’ll be able to join our all-age group meetings by phone. Your experience will not be as good without Zoom, but at least you’ll be able to hear the conversation. When the meeting starts, call the following number and enter the Meeting ID when asked.
- Telephone: 0131 460 1196
- Meeting ID: Please email us at email@example.com for the ID and passcode
Unfortunately, it won’t be possible to join 18-30 Group gatherings by telephone.
- Download the software from the official zoom.us site only
- The strength of your internet connection is important, so please find somewhere that gets a strong signal (close to your router/modem if necessary)
- Find somewhere quiet and private, with little background noise to join the discussion
- Have a cuppa/juice/water etc. with you at the start of the meeting because we’re not planning to have a tea-break
- The Facilitators will moderate the discussion, but you can also raise your hand digitally if you want to speak. We’ll explain how you can do this on the night.
Thanks to Graeme for his suggestions. The group does not endorse third-party websites.